Friends of Ed;
Father has an appointment with his Hematologist on June 7th and in preparation for this he needed to have some blood work done. I decided that since the General Hospital is only about a 15 minute walk from Alta Vista Manor I would try wheeling him over to the hospital in his wheelchair rather than taking him over in the car. This then save all the hassle of parking the car at the hospital, which could actually take more time than the walk for Alta Vista Manor! The walk to and from the hospital went well with no complications other than trying to pick the smoothest route over all the little bumps on the sidewalk and it being a bit windy. The people at the hospital were reasonably efficient and the whole trip took a bit less than 2 hours.
I then went back to the house for a couple of hours because the drain of the kitchen sink had been draining slowly and leaking so it needed some plumbing attention. Fortunately I was able to get the needed parts at the local Home Hardware and solve the problem.
Recently father has started having all of his dinners in the dining room and I wanted to make sure this process was happening properly so I returned to Alta Vista Manor about 17:15. The staff had properly taken father down for dinner (using his walker – not the wheelchair!) and he was having his soup when I arrived. They had seated him at a table with 3 other ladies and they were having a fine conversation. Pepper steak was the main entrée and father ate a good portion of it. Part way through dinner Judy Manning arrived for a visit bringing another rhubarb pie. Since father had just eaten dinner we didn’t consume any of the pie at that time but out it in the fridge in father’s room for future reference. I was checking his mailbox when father decided he should go back to his room and he did it more or less independently without help from the staff - though Judy may have helped him a bit.
All in all it was a pretty successful day!
Vince
No comments:
Post a Comment