I was running around town doing errands today so I didn't get to visit father until about 19:00. In compensation I brought along an old friend - his Tenor Saxophone. I'd been looking around the house for a few days to see if I could find a sax with all the parts and I finally found the Tenor in a room where I didn't expect it. I had been wondering for a couple of weeks if father could handle a little blowing on his horn and he seemed agreeable to trying so today we gave it a whirl. It was wonderful to see how confidently he assembled the horn and got it adjusted to his liking. His short term memory may be poor but his long term memory is working fine! The horn had not been played in 6 months so the reed was dry and the instrument seemed to be quite reluctant to "sound", but after a minute or so it started to speak. He played for about 20 minutes - nothing serious, just scales, exercises, and little snippets of tunes such as in the video below. He said it felt really good and "familiar" to have the horn in his hands. I must say that I was more than a little impressed. I had not expected results from a "first try" to be anywhere near this good! Father did say that he had to keep taking breaths in "all the wrong places" and that he was frequently on the verge of coughing but overall I think he was also very pleased with is first saxophone playing in over 6 months!
Vince
No comments:
Post a Comment